We all know that carrying extra pounds can have harmful consequences for our health and self-esteem. And yet, over the last few years, obesity rates have been increasing at an alarming speed in developed countries. Here at the Healthy Weight Clinic, we believe that to avoid being overweight, it’s useful to understand the main causes of it. Here are five.
- Being sedentary. Being inactive is one of the surest ways to gain weight. When your body stays still, it can’t burn many of the calories ingested from meals and snacks. To lose weight or stay slim, it’s important to make a habit of moving every chance you get—ride your bike instead of driving your car, take the stairs instead of the elevator, join a walking club, play a sport you love, and so on.
- Nutrition. Junk food, candy, soda and alcohol are all substances that are directly linked to weight gain. High in refined sugar and bad fats, these foods should only be eaten occasionally. Unfortunately, these foods often form a large part of the diets of people who struggle with being overweight. To make the extra pounds disappear, it’s a good idea to consult a professional nutritionist.
- Heredity. Studies have shown that obesity can be genetic. As a result, two people of the same sex, height and age with the same lifestyle and diet can have completely different weights. Before going on a diet to combat obesity that’s linked to heredity it’s essential to consult a nutrition expert; when trying to lose weight quickly on their own, many people end up failing.
- Hormones. Hormonal imbalances are also frequently linked to obesity. For example, people who suffer from hypothyroidism are more likely to be overweight. Fortunately, many medical treatments exist for regulating your hormones.
- Medications. Certain medications—most notably antidepressants and contraceptives—can make it easier to gain weight. If this is the case, your doctor can prescribe a medication that works just as well but has fewer side effects.
Want to safely lose weight? Contact the Healthy Weight Clinic closest to you without delay! We can recommend a weight loss plan tailored to your needs (such as a protein diet or a low-calorie diet) and begin to track your progress.